8 Ways I'm Rockin 'Hanukkah in this year

8 Ways I'm Rockin 'Hanukkah in this year
Diposkan oleh:
8 Ways I'm Rockin 'Hanukkah in this year

I admit it. Hanukkah isn't essentially the most glamorous of holidays. Especially when in comparison with that other vacation we have an excellent time in our house -- you realize, the one with the shiny tree and a few guy named Santa. Apparently, oil burning in a temple 1000's of years in the past isn't as exciting as a person with an enormous sleigh and flying reindeer.

That mentioned, I am decided that this 12 months goes to be different. This 12 months I will make Hanukkah a vacation they will remember, even once we're baking cookies for Santa and hanging stockings with care. Listed below are eight ways I will rock Hanukkah this year.

1. Serve up a complete lotta latkes. Granted, I've never made latkes before (thank you, Granny!), but if oil can burn for eight days in historical Jerusalem, it may possibly definitely burn for an hour or so in my kitchen. I've received my recipe from his grandfather, and a sack of potatoes, and a dream in my heart. there is. Bring on the starch!

2. Make it a household affair. Nothing makes a vacation special like gathering with family to devour, drink, and get into a shouting fit over who forgot the applesauce 5 years ago. This Hanukkah I'm looking forward to household bonding (and drama) with those I love.

3. Finally study what the letters on the dreidel mean. Every year I wrestle to recollect the which means of those Hebrew letters (even after touchdown on shin 10 occasions and shedding all my cash). However, if I ever wish to understand my dream of turning into a dreidel hustler -- or at the very least educate my youngsters how to play the sport -- it is time to commit.

4. Bask in Jewish gelt. Seems you can buy love... should you're using chocolate money.

5. Carry on Pandora. I used to suppose my solely music options had been "Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah" and "The Dreidel Song." Nonetheless, I just lately discovered Pandora's Hanukkah station, and instantly it's hip hop Hanukkah round here. I, for one, am trying ahead to a rousing put up-dreidel reenactment of Step Up 3D.

6. Tell 'em a tale. Oppressive emperors. Sword-wielding excessive priests. Armored struggle elephants. The story of Hanukkah is nothing if not dramatic. Yeah, Santa is cool. However in a struggle between Santa and Judah Maccabee, you already know who my Hanukkah gelt would be on.

7. Say a little bit prayer. Woven throughout my vacation reminiscences is the Hanukkah blessing, sung reverentially over burning candles, connecting my family to generations earlier than us. Now it's time to go that custom on. While the words could also be foreign, I know my kids will sense their connection to something greater as well.

8. Spend time together. To me, the most effective a half of Hanukkah isn't the presents or even the food. Reasonably, it's that, for eight days, my family units apart time to spend collectively -- whether it's just a few minutes lighting candles, or a night visiting beloved ones. This yr, I plan to make probably the most of the vacation to disconnect from life's many distractions, and reconnect with the individuals I love. While eating latkes, of course.

Sure, it may be bold of me to suppose that, amid the sparkling lights Christmas, I could fry some love Hanukkah this season. Then once more, because the oil burning in the ancient Temple proves, higher miracles have happened.